Peter B. Wells, IV
Doyle, Restrepo, Harvin & Robbins, L.L.P.
440 Louisiana Suite 2300
Houston, Texas 7700
- Peter represents both corporations and individuals in a vast array of commercial litigation matters, including complex securities, insurance, maritime, trade secret, construction, contract, business tort, and employment cases. Peter has also handled a number of personal injury and collection matters for various corporations and individuals throughout Texas and the rest of the country.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude), 2005
- Recipient, Dean’s Merit Scholarship
- Langdell Scholar, Contracts
- Order of the Lytae
- Note and Comment Editor, South Texas Law Review
- University of Texas-Austin, B.A. 2002
Memberships and Admissions
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Born, Beaumont, Texas, 1979
Representative Litigation Matters
- Won a week-long trial in federal court representing local stevedoring company relating to claims against major national chassis pool operator for breach of contract stemming from repair services stevedore provided to chassis pool operator. Also defended against counterclaims for breach of contract and fraud. Obtained judgment for 100% of claim as well as attorneys’ fees, costs, and interest.
- Represented brokers and broker dealers before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) and its predecessor, the National Association of Securities Dealers (“NASD”), relating to customer disputes regarding claims for unsuitability, selling away, fraud, churning, unauthorized trading outside business activities, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract.
- Represented various insurance brokers and independent registered representatives relating to claims stemming from the sale of various fixed and variable annuities and life insurance products.
- Successfully tried arbitration before FINRA relating to customer dispute involving broker’s recommendation of speculative investment outside the scope of his employment with broker dealer. All claims asserted against client dismissed with prejudice.
- Represented local exploration and production company on oil and gas termination cases in Delaware Basin.
- Represented oilfield services company in breach of contract case stemming from synthetic mat joint-venture.
- Represented oilfield tool company in disputes involving claims for unpaid freight charges.
- Represented tax preparation service relating to claim of improper accounting practices.
- Represented commercial contractors relating to mechanics and materialman’s lien claims.
- Successfully tried arbitration before FINRA relating to former broker’s employment agreement and promissory notes with local broker dealer. Panel awarded client full amount of unpaid principal, interest, and attorneys’ fees.
- Defended broker dealer from claims brought by individuals and corporations for fraud stemming from sale of auction rate securities.
- Represented major national insurance company with regard to first party insurance property damage claims for mold, water, hurricane, and fire damage. Experience includes drafting initial pre-suit reports, mediation reports, and status reports to client for case evaluation.
- Represented stevedoring company relating to claims by second largest container shipper in world for fraud and breach of contract.
- Represented chemical company relating to claims for loss of productivity and overhead against mechanical piping contractor on multi-million dollar styrene revamp project.
- Served as local counsel to oil and gas magazine publisher relating to claims for fraud and theft stemming from sale of multi-million dollar land rig.
- Represented downtown Houston property owner named as defendant/ subsequent transferee in Bankruptcy Court adversary proceeding for claims relating to fraudulent transfer of client’s property.
- Represented individual commercial property owner relating to claims by foreign family member for trespass to try title, fraud, and constructive trust.
- Peter Wells, et al., Recent Developments in Business Litigation, 42 TORT TRIAL & INS. PRAC. L.J. 327, 334-38 (2007).
- Galveston Bay Foundation
- Hurricane Ike Recovery Informal Committee
- Worked with Chambers County as well as Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge with Cleanup Efforts
- Consulted Plaquemines Parish Engineering Firm for Recovery Efforts in Chambers and Jefferson County, Texas
- Houston Young Lawyer Association
- Adopt-An-Angel firm coordinator
- Member, St. Luke’s United Methodist Church
Awards and Honors
- Eagle Scout
- Houston Association of Legal Professionals, 2010 Boss of the Year
- Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters for Texas Super Lawyers- 2015-2017 (Business Litigation)