James Eloi Doyle
Doyle, Restrepo, Harvin & Robbins, L.L.P.
440 Louisiana Suite 2300
Houston, Texas 77002
For more than 30 years, James Doyle has handled complex business litigation involving advanced technology, trade secrets, oil and gas matters, employment law, financial institution fraud and white collar crime, deceptive trade practices, securities and antitrust. He also has represented clients before legislative subcommittees and grand juries and has had experience in commercial matters with potential criminal ramifications. James has extensive civil trial experience in state and federal courts, as well as having tried numerous criminal cases in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Represented major oil company relating to commercial and royalty claims arising out of their operations in West Africa.
- Defended international bank in Enron litigation in which claimants sought billions of dollars.
- Represented nation’s largest developer of destination malls in dispute over competing developments and national joint development agreements.
- Represented the receiver and subsequently the FSLIC in one of the largest savings and loan failures in the 1980s.
- Represented major national trust in a royalty dispute involving coastal reserves and fraud.
- Successfully resolved a major dispute against a global software developer on behalf of a manufacturer and marketer of petrochemicals. The case involved the development, marketing and implementation of an e-commerce software applications product.
- Obtained a significant settlement in suit for fraud against a life insurance company based on its refusal to honor a large life insurance policy. He represented the beneficiaries and, after months of discovery and pre-trial motions, we resolved the case for an amount well in excess of the face amount of the policy.
- Defended Fortune 500 company in $100 million dispute over a joint venture involving specialty chemicals.
- Represented chief executive of national real estate corporation in litigation resulting from sales of numerous apartment developments.
- Messrs. Doyle and Harvin obtained the first jury verdict finding defective engineering services and parts against one of the nation’s largest advanced technology and semiconductor companies.
- Represented major oil companies and individuals in variety of mineral lease and surface issues.
- Represented oil company in dispute over offshore concession in Belize.
- Represented one of the largest private international currency traders in claims in excess of $100 million relating to alleged expropriation of software.
- Handled several nursing home cases, including a case in 1998 that resulted in a jury verdict that was described in The Wall Street Journal as one of largest in the nation at the time.
- Assisted in defense and coordinated jury selection in one of the largest criminal antitrust cases ever brought in the Southwest.
- Represented physicians in significant unfair competition/antitrust litigation.
- Represented numerous plaintiffs in closed head and wrongful death cases.
Activities and Affiliations
- Faculty: National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) at Southern Methodist University, University of Houston, University of New Mexico, and at the Advanced and Masters NITA Programs at the University of Colorado.
- Adjunct Professor: University of Houston School of Law, 1988-90.
- Coauthor: “The Regulator’s View of Lender Liability: The FSLIC’s Administrative Claims Process,” State Bar of Texas Lender’s Liability Seminar, 1988.
- Speaker: “Nursing Home Litigation,” Houston Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 1999.
Educational and Professional Background
- Admitted to the State Bar of Indiana, 1970 and State Bar of Texas, 1974.
- Education: Rice University, B.A.; University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D. 1970; University of London, CAEL 1969.
- Captain, United States Marine Corps, 1968-1974.
- Member: State Bar Association of Texas, American Bar Association and Houston Bar Association.
- Admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Texas, United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
Present or Past Member
- Galveston Bay Foundation, Executive Committee (Chairman, 2010-12)
- Houston Technology Center, Advisory Board
- Interfaith Housing Board, Executive Committee
- Women’s Athletic Advisory Board, Rice University
- “R” Association of Rice University
- Grievance Committee of the State Bar of Texas
- Houston Philosophical Society
- Born, Beaumont, Texas, 1945.
Telephone (713) 228-5100 | Fax (713) 228-6138
440 Louisiana Suite 2300, Houston, Texas 77002
Copyright 2014 DOYLE RESTREPO HARVIN & ROBBINS, L. L. P. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise noted in website – Not certified by Texas Board of Legal Specialization.